David A. Lokting
David Lokting heads the firm's extensive business law and real estate practices. David represents clients in a wide range of business and real estate transactions, including forming business organizations (corporations, partnerships and limited liability companies), buying and selling businesses, equity buy-ins and buy-outs (including business "divorces"), development, acquisition, sale and financing of all types of commercial and investment real estate, structuring and completing forward and reverse Section 1031 exchanges, and representing developers and lenders in affordable housing projects. David has had great success finding common ground for clients in what are often contentious and complex transactions and negotiations.
Best Lawyers in America, Oregon Super Lawyers and Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business have recognized David as one of the top Real Estate and Tax lawyers.
- David and his team currently represent a major syndicator of investment real estate including more than 100 acquisitions involving more than $2 billion in the last six years. Many of these acquisitions have involved intricate co-tenancy structures to facilitate tax deferred exchanges under Section 1031 of the Internal Revenue Code.
- Represents the developers of Portland's fastest growing, highly successful inner-urban redevelopment projects.
- Represented the owner and developer of a $40 million project-financed electric and steam-generation plant.
- Represented the controlling partner in the restructuring of $300 million of debt involving more than 30 separate investment properties and ownership entities.
- Represented developer of a complex, multifaceted housing project, involving public, private and non-profit participants.
- Represented landowner and ground lessor of subordinated ground lease for a $20 million bond-financed high-rise residential development.
209 SW Oak St
Portland, Oregon 97204
Tel: (503) 227-1600
Fax: (503) 227-6840
- New York University, LL.M. in taxation, 1983
- University of Oregon, J.D., Order of the Coif, 1980
- Oregon State University / Portland State University, B.A. with Honors, 1976
- Oregon State Bar, 1980
- United States District Court, Oregon
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- Stoll Berne
- Hon. Robert Campbell and Hon. Thomas J. Young, Oregon Court of Appeals, 1980-1981
- Oregon State Bar, member
- Business Law Section, member
- Real Estate and Land Use Section, member
- Taxation Section, member
- Legislative and Executive Committees, past member
- Self Enhancement, Inc.
- Board treasurer, 2001-present
- Board member, 1999-present
- Holocaust Resource Center, board member, 1990-1992
- Neighborhood House, Inc.
- Board member, 1983-1989
- Board treasurer and president, 1983-1989